Learn Moroccan Arabic with
Tajine qui parle
Would you like to learn Moroccan Arabic? Well, you’ve come to the right place because we created this website for you! Discover our searchable online dictionary with 2800 words and expressions translated into Moroccan Arabic (Darija), plus our grammar and pronunciation guides.
The English – Moroccan Arabic dictionary
There are two ways to find the words you need in the “Tajine qui parle” dictionary:
- Use the search box at the top of the page
- Search in our list of words from A to Z.
See our pronunciation pages to understand the letters we have used to transcribe each Moroccan Arabic word (now with audio!). Each person / book / language school has a different way to represent the sounds that don’t exist in English – we have chosen the system that we feel is the most easy to understand for English speakers.
We use notation to show the different verb types in our dictionary to help with conjugating the verbs. See our grammar page to find out more.
How and why we created the “Tajine qui parle” site
When we arrived in Morocco, we studied Moroccan Arabic (Darija) in a language school. Every day we collected new vocabulary in our notebooks and at the end of a year we had several notebooks filled with useful words and expressions. However, whenever we tried to find a word, we didn’t know where to look – in which notebook and on what page? We looked for dictionaries to help us but very few exist and many are out of date and contain words that aren’t used today.
So, we decided to make a list of vocabulary in alphabetical order to help us locate all the useful vocabulary hidden away in our notebooks. Little by little the list continued to grow and became like a mini dictionary and we thought it would be useful for many other people if we put this dictionary on the internet.
We have now been learning the language for 4 years. As we continue to improve our knowledge of the language, this website will continue to grow and develop.
Work planned on the “Tagjine qui parle” site
– New words and expressions in Moroccan Arabic
– Additional Grammar Pages
– Arabic writing for each word (a big help for those that know the Arabic Scipt) – 70% complete.
– Audio files to help you develop good pronunciation – we are currently recording a native Moroccan speaker so this will be added little by little over the coming months.
– Vocabulary pages grouped by subjet (with audio) to help beginners get started.
– A forum where you can ask questions about the language or suggest improvements to the site.
– A list of books and useful links to help with learning Moroccan Arabic.
Vous parlez français ?
Visiter nos pages en :